Organ Donation Facts
People are in need of more organ donors. These are some facts about organ donation that proves the necessity of more donors throughout the United States and the world.
- There are more than 122,000 people in the United States currently on the waiting list waiting to receive a lifesaving organ.
- Nearly 2,000 of those individuals who are waiting are children.
- On average, 22 people die each day nationally waiting to receive an organ donation.
- Every 10 minutes another name is added to the National Transplant List.
- One organ donor can save up to eight lives, and improve the quality of life for an additional 50 people.
- A healthy person can become a living donor by donating a kidney, part of the liver, lung, intestine, blood, or bone marrow.
- There is no cost to the donor family for organ and tissue donation.
- Organ donors are needed for all ages, races and ethnic groups. The transplant success rate increases when organs are matched within members of the same ethnic background.
Register to become an organ donor.